Category Archives: Exhibits

1904 Speedwell

1904 Speedwell

Bodied by Chapman’s of Inverness for Culloden House and was subsequently used as a taxi in Sutherland, climbing the very steep Berrydale Braes on occasion. Never outside Scotland except for 3 successful Brighton Races. Seen here on the run with the McWhirter family onboard. Still in very original condition.

Powered by a 2 cylinder engine. Can reach 45mph, preferably downhill with a tail wind.

1910 Daimler Tourer

1910 Daimler Tourer

Engine: 2.1 litre 4 Cylinder
Output: 16 bhp
Top Speed: 45 mph

This car was supplied by Daimler as a rolling chassis and was delivered new to the Christie family of Blackhills near Elgin. The family commissioned a coachbuilders by the name of Shinnie of Aberdeen who built what you see today. The family had the vehicle up to 1939 where it appears to have been left to disrepair and was towed to the local scrapyard .

It was rescued from there by two Polish airmen and the car was completely restored and covered 60,000 miles in 45 years of ownership.
The vehicle was brought back to Elgin in 1995 and at that point when we first started the engine we realised just how quiet it is with its rather unusual wet sleeve linered engine.

1921 Regent Sports 7 h.p.

1921 Regent Sport 7 h.p.

Engine: 4398cc
Output: 110 bhp
0 – 60: 10 secs
Top Speed: 100 mph

Frame No 16 – One of only two known survivors
Engine – Coventry Victor 688cc Flat Twin – No 5-556
First Registered 7th June, 1921, RS 3466, in Aberdeen to a Mr Cecil A. Ewing
Gearbox – Sturmey Archer three speed No CS46289L
Magneto – Thomson Bennett Type AM No.106/5C

1929 Bentley 4.5 Litre

1929 Bentley 4.5 litre

Engine: 4398cc
Output: 110 bhp
0 – 60: 10 secs
Top Speed: 100 mph

The 1920’s saw a change in ideas on chauffeurs and their importance and on the ‘type of car one would own’. This change saw owners and keen affluent drivers regard the Bentley as the sporty Rolls Royce.
Right from the start the 3 litre was setting a new standard in performance and they swept the boards in motor sport. The engine sizes grew up to an almighty 8 litre with speeds being achieved of 140mph in the mid 20’s.
This car is the 4.5 litre model believed to be the finest road car of the 1920’s Bentley’s for its mix of power and handling.
Originally bodied by Harrison as an open tourer the car is quite a short example and with the 40 gallon tank has a long range. We know the car ended up in Argentina and only returned to the UK in 1989 when the museum acquired the car and since them it has been extensively restored.

1929 Rolls Royce Phantom 1

1929 Rolls Royce Phantom 1

Engine: 7500cc
Output: 90 bhp
0 – 60: 16 secs
Top Speed: 90 mph

The twenties was a very prosperous period for Rolls Royce with coach builders backing some very unusual and bespoke bodies. At this time 70% of Rolls Royce were destined for the Middle East, and that is where this particular car went, with the company ‘Park Ward’ who were commissioned to build a hunting car for a wealthy Maharajah.
The design incorporates fold away seats in the rear to allow standing position and a lockable gun case in the back, it also has two very large spotlights that mount either side of the windscreen for picking out tigers at night.

1936 Jaguar SS100

1936 Jaguar SS100

Engine: 3485cc
Output: 180 bhp
0 – 60: 7.5 secs
Top Speed: 140 mph

BWK 77 or, as it is more comonly known ‘Old No.8’ due to it’s chassis number, was the first racing car from Jaguar. Although ran to start with as a private entry in the 1936 Alpine Rally, which it won, the car was seen to be a great advertisement so was adopted by Jaguar and ran as a ‘works car’ pre and post war until the advent of the XK120.

This car started as a standard car and over the years lost its wings and had a lightened chassis and even had a supercharger fitted. It raced and won at venues such as Brooklands, Shelsey Walsh Prescott and has recently competed at Goodwood.
The museum is currently developing a supercharged engine for the car with the intention to achieve 250bhp minimum from this ultra-lightweight car.

1937 BMW 328

1937 BMW 328

Engine: Bristol 2 litre Straight Six
Output: 80 bhp
0 – 60: 12 secs
Top Speed: 100 mph

With its small dimensions and radical aerodynamic shape the car was competitive in all types of track events with its adjustable torsion abr suspension, the car is considered to be the finest all round pre-war sports car.

This particular car was supplied by the agents in Glasgow to a keen motoring enthusiast from East Lothian and he competed with the car all over the UK. As you can see by the above picture the windscreen was changed in the early 50’s and the car has since been known as the flat screen 328.

1951 Frazer-Nash

1951 Frazer-Nash Mille Miglia

Engine: Bristol 1971cc
Power: BSI 140 bhp
Top Speed: 120 mph

Bought new by Joe Little of Aberdeen to go racing at Crimond and Charterhall. Seen here at Lake Como, Italy, prior to successful Mille Miglia in 1991. Driven by Mrs A McWhirter of Elgin

Tubular chassis with torsion bar rear suspension giving superb handling. Totally refurbished in the Moray Motor Museum workshops.

1954 Lagonda V12

Lagonda

1954 Lagonda V12 Ex Le-Mans

Engine: V12
Output: 375 bhp
Top Speed: 180 mph

Rescued from a lock-up in Birmingham some 25 years ago and restored over a period of 20 years, this Lagonda ran at Le Mans, lying 12th prior to damaging the rear quarter and unable to continue at night with no road lights.

The V12 original engine was located in a Jensen 541 and since completion has competed at Le Mans (retired with a puncture) and had 2 wonderful victories at Goodwood including the prestigious Spirit of Goodwood Award.

Goodwood Greats: Lagonda V12 Mega-Gallery

Click HERE » for the featured gallery from the Goodwood Greats series courtesy of Goodwood Road and Race

1959 Jensen 541R

1959 Jensen 541R

Engine: 4000cc
Output: 150 bhp
0 – 60: 10 secs
Top Speed: 125 mph

Jensen had realised that there was a large market for rapid four seater GT cars. They kept costs down during production by using the powerful Austin engine and has carried out a lot of development with the fibre glass bodywork.
It was an instant success with the light weight and torque combined.
This particular car being an ‘R’ model had further developments made to it, the main difference being the rack and pinion steering which sharpened up the cars handling together with the fact it was the first car to have disc brakes all round.

The museum acquired this car as a true barn find and spent several years putting it back to arguably better than new condition.